Full-bodied white wines, a rising style
During the past years, white wines have gained path in the Argentinian gondolas and tables. Firstly, because high-quality white wines have been emerging but, apart from that, as time went by, consumers started to understand that the white wine universe is so wide and interesting that very different styles can co-exist.
This great division is given by two aspects characterizing wines that are intimately related: on the first place, its structure, the weight in the mouth and the body; on the second place, the grape variety through which it is elaborated. While whites have been historically associated with casual wines, light and fluid in the mouth, during the last years another style has begun to gain superiority and to conquer consumers: the full-bodied white wines.
In these wines, the fruit gains prominence over the acidity levels; it is no longer about light white wines, contrarily, these wines start having more body and structure, are less sharp and more serious, wide and complex. Generally, they are elaborated as from the Chardonnay variety, Viognier, or the different combination of white varieties, and, in some cases, partially raised in oak barrels.
These wines do not belong to the segment of young and fresh white wines that have traditionally dominated the summer scene, but are neither the rounded unctuous long oaky raised wine drank during winter. These white wines perfectly match with seasonal dishes such as warm salads with cooked vegetables, blue grilled fish, fried sea food, paellas and rice with sea food. Some of the most representative exponents of the full-bodied white wines are:
In these wines, the fruit gains prominence over the acidity levels; it is no longer about light white wines, contrarily, these wines start having more body and structure, are less sharp and more serious, wide and complex.
- Good volume rounded Chardonnay; such as Luigi Bosca Chardonnay, a wine balancing freshness and fluidity with body and unctuosity in the palate, supported by the fruit that grants character and offers a great varietal typicality.
- Complex and vigorous Riesling; such as Luigi Bosca Riesling Las Compuertas, a pioneer among the Argentinian varieties. A wine with expressive scents that resembles tropical fruits, with a hint of mineral notes, full-body and defined personality.
- Majestic blends; such as Luigi Bosca De Sangre White Blend (Chardonnay, Semillón and Sauvignon Blanc cut). With an expressive and fully fruity nose, unctuous and vibrant texture, it is a delicate and elegant wine.
Full-bodied white wines characteristics:
- Wide in mouth, covering every taste bud.
- Generous, voluptuous and with full structure.
- Good volume, kind and round, therefore enticing different consumer profiles.
- Highlighted by the notes of tropical fruit, minerals, vanilla and honey, in the case of the ones containing some wood hint.
- Versatile, excellent to drink as an aperitif or to accompany different meals.